Wheaton College: Class of 2006
Rambling advice and warmest wishes from a recent graduate to the current graduating class of 2006:It's strange that with each passing year more and more of us are being scattered throughout the States and the world to do this or that. But you know, I hopes that where-ever we are and whatever we be doing that it's a calling, that we ain't just taking up space. I'm not saying we'll ever be 100% confident or sure of what we are doing, but it's a process and journey that Dad works out. Who you are is so much more important than what you do anyway.
And no, you are not just now entering "Real Life." You've been living it all along, so get that idea outta yer head. It's just that now is the time to go out and live the values and ideals you've got stored up from four years of struggle and debate, both intellectually and emotionally. Don't be surprised if things go a lil nuts. I know I'm in the middle of it all now and I warmly welcome you to join me. Post-grad life is wacky, lonely, reflective, often boring and confusing, exciting and simple, and tons of other descriptives that don't seem to have anything to do with each other. It's all there though, I think it's all true.
Contrary to popular belief, things don't go downhill after college. I think they go uphill pretty fast... it's just that going uphill is actually a lot harder than going downhill if you think about the simple physics of it all. Prepare for a lil bit of climbing friends, maybe a lot.
Love your friend and realize that for many, you are indeed saying goodbye for good this side of eternity. That for many you'll never be as close as you are at this moment. It's sad, but we've got to be real about it. Believe that the amount of time Dad has given you with a person is exactly the amount needed to make you who you are supposed to be. Stay connected with the best of brothers and sisters and realize that common experience is not the deepest point of connection. It's when you've got a common vision and passion for the future that'll keep you connected. Ya'll may be walking in different places at different paces, but check with each other that you are moving in the same direction, eh?
It was only a year ago that I stepped out of the Wheaton bubble into this China bubble. Transitions are the hardest part of life I think. You are all in my thoughts. I'll be dreaming of each of you walking across that stage, shaking "important people's" hands and peace-ing out to all that was good and horrible about Wheaton College.
Peace in your soul, brothers and sisters.

<< Home