Saturday, May 06, 2006

Back in China

After about a week and a half leave to the United States to be with family for my grandfather's passing and funeral, I have just now safely arrived in Wuhu, Anhui, China. A deep thank you to so many friends who offered my family and I love and support in this difficult time of transition.

My grandfather passed away April 23rd at approximately 7:00 PM although he had slipped into a coma several hours before my arrival. All my of his children and grandchildren were present when he took his last breath. He was 92 years old.

In my time at home, I was stressed and tired from sleepless nights by the hospital bed and a seemingly endless list of administrative duties following his passing. There was a lot of emotional stress from many members of family working out the transition and leaving of my grandfather's presence, especially for my grandmother and mother.

But even more so, my time at home was blessed. In the midst of difficulty I was able to see my family connect in ways it hadn't for years. I was able to sit at my grandmother's side and listen to numerous stories of her and my grandfather's experiences of life. I was able to show my love for family through service. I was able to meet and connect with many old friends i've missed dearly since I left for China, people who continue to challenge and love me with their presence.

There is a lot to share about their lives. I hope to post a little bit about it on this blog in the upcoming weeks.

Now? I am still tired, but I am also blessed. I return to China with a sense of closure and peace concerning family and encouragement from the presence of old friends. I return to a good work that the Father has set for me to do by His grace alone. I return to students and colleagues, an entire world that I have been called to serve with the same heart I have for friends and family at home.

Father, help me to serve and speak, move and love with your strength and power.

Please be thinking of me as I re-adjust to relationships and responsibilities here. More than anything now, I just want to sit in His presence, to serve and be by His strength as this amazing and holy first year closes in the next few months.