Thursday, March 16, 2006

You want me to wha..?

So I've been laying down a lot of long and over-extended essays about all kinds of junk lately. I figure it's about time I give the few readers of this blog something lighter to chew on; something going on in my life instead of just in my head.

Since I’ve gotten back to China in early March, I haven’t graded a single homework assignment. It’s starting to pile up. I’m going to be in trouble soon if I don’t jump on it.

I’m supposed to be a teacher, but this week most of my classes have been off key, mostly flat. You know your students must be bored if you are. My class prep has also been lacking. I drag myself through the organization of content, researching texts and the internet to make sure I know what I’m talking about. I think lesson planning has becoming the lowest point of my days.

I’ll be dropping the English conversation class I’m currently teaching to post-graduate education students. That's probably better. I felt really uncomfortable teaching what is supposed to be a masters level class to experienced teachers ten years older than me. In many ways, it is easier than teaching undergraduates. In undergrad the students don't respond much. These older students are quite articulate and much more willing to engage and debate. I guess I just don't feel qualified is all.

The school administration has asked that instead, I pick up a smaller class of 13 Tibetan middle school teachers who have come to ANU to improve their English.

I guess that's a little better, but why me?

Well, It turns out they’ve only been learning English for about half a year now and the administration needs someone with a good grasp of Chinese to teach them. I realize that this means I’m actually going to be teaching a bit in Chinese.

Wait.. . what?

I can barely teach English in English and you want me to teach English in Chinese?

So I'm moving from leading articulate conversations about ethics and the role of teaching with Chinese, post graduate level, English teachers to teaching basic English greetings and departures with Tibetan teachers in my second language.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire?

I think it's okay to use a cliche now and then don't you?

This oughta be a stretching experience. It'll be good for me.

In fact, It’s just one of many that have been going on lately. My classes and teaching life feel boring yes, but the rest of life is not. There's actually a lot going on outside my head. I should take more time to share it.