Four Short Days...
... Is all I had in Seoul, Korea.I like Korea, it carries its own unique culture and tradition as Korean while seamlessly blending it with the best (and worst) successful modernity has to offer. It reminds me of what China could be as well as hints at what it might become.
But I didn’t really come to Seoul to see the city or to do any analytical cultural observation.
I came here to be with my friend, my sister: Lydia Eunhae Ra.
These last four days I’ve been able to breathe and be myself freely like I haven’t been able to do since I checked in at the St. Louis airport half a year ago, since that one random night in Beijing with Jerry Redfield III. It’s about connection, relationship that brings out who you are and beckons you to be more with care and love.
It felt something like home, the ability to be who I've always thought myself to be before instead of trying to figure out the newness of being a teacher, a post graduate, a servant in China.
These four days felt something like home because I was with someone who knows me and I know her: a sister in spirit. These four days are so very valuable to me in this time when connections are fewer and father in between and the new constantly bombards me in torrential waves.
Connection with a person is a rare thing, something that transcends space, dictates a type of understanding beyond words, and provides a sort of rest that leads to peace. The farther I get from what I used to call home, the more I value and love these relational connections I still have. It is nothing short of Grace that they can be kept at all.
After a soul-searching time in Thailand, these four days with Lydia in Korea have been grace. Long walks through the various neighborhoods of Seoul from the grand to the run-down, delicious meals of everyday Korean cuisine, the rhythms of Tokebi, the pictures and filming for hopes of making a future Music Video, the movies watched, the tea and coffee drank, the conversations had, the struggles, the dreams, and the fears; all of this I can call real. I can feel it and ponder it and it brings me to remember. For these things I am thankful.
Four short days was all I had, and I am eternally grateful for them.

<< Home