Saturday, May 27, 2006

Home.. .

A story of some of my grandpa’s last words.. .

My grandfather lays in his hospital bed in Georgetown University Hospital, weak but still very much conscience. He turns to my grandmother and tells her to go back to the apartment and get a new set of clothes, “bring them here and after I get changed would you take me home?”

“You can’t go home yet,” my grandmother replies.

“And why not?”

“Because you are still sick, you have to stay until you are better.”

Upon hearing this my grandfather was silent for a few moments.

“I’m not sick,” he says.

My grandma doesn’t quite know how to reply.

There is more silence.

“People weren’t meant to live in a place like this,” my grandfather finally says.

The next day my grandfather fell into a coma. I arrived back in the States from China that night.

Yes... people weren’t meant to live in a place like this. We all want to go home.

Home.. .