Friday, November 23, 2007

How Much Is A Life Worth?

Most of us would say a life is priceless. Most of us would believe such a statement from the depths of our heart

But the realities of life don't reflect our confessions...

The two young men I mentioned in my previous email are still in the hospital. I have not had the opportunity to visit them for various reasons, but have received updates from other brothers and sisters coming in and out. The situation, though not tragic yet, is not good.

Both are stable, but the list of complications is a long one.

One brother (whom i will refer to as HJ) has a broken leg, both hands broken, and al of his bottom teeth shattered. His personality has always been a calm one and even now he rests quietly. Doctors are concerned about brain damage and other possible complications. He is undergoing new tests now even as I write this email. The hope is that this will be the end of the list, that from here on in it gets better.

The other brother (whom i will refer to as ZJS) is in a more serious state. For days doctor's thought his kidney's had internal bleeding or some other complication. Today we have learned the doctors were wrong, that in fact it is his liver. This leads to a whole other line of possibilities. In any case, the situation has not improved. Amongst other complications, ZJS's personality has always been a passionate one. Accordingly he has not been able to rest well, sometimes breaking out into bouts of complaints about pain or treatment. Some have questioned whether trauma to the head has left him with a lesser ability to control his emotions, or perhaps it is just shock. In any case, his blood pressure is incredibly unstable due to his temperament. Today is was dangerously low.

Perhaps most disturbing is the journey of working with the hospital and the school concerning their recovery. As is the problem in countries all over the world, health care is not an easy subject. Whether it is lack of resources and knowledge or red tape complications of insurance, there is almost more stress in it than the initial events themselves. Long story short, the doctors will not do anything until the money has been paid for each procedure each day. If the money is not in the hands of the hospital by the beginning of the day, the doctors will not do anything, not even the daily medicines or IV's.

These two brothers are not from well of families, like much of China, they are the children of farmers. The student group of brothers and sisters and toiled together daily to provide the necessary funding. The school has offered only a small fraction of the total costs as insurance, and what other money they may be willing to give has been stuck in red tape or simply ignored due to possible corruption.

How much is a life worth?

Here in Wuhu, and I imagine all around the world, people are tearfully keeping count each day and hoping they'll have enough.

So why do I tell you all this? Because we need pryr, thoughts and hearts lifted up for these two brothers and the entire fellowship of men and women supporting them. After the end of this week, they (we) are tired and worried, feeling like the end of the rope is not far off. I have often struggled with the balance of faith and action and this situation is no exception. In short, I am trusting with all my heart that goodness and glory can always spring from the working of the father.

I have faith... though small...

... is it at least the size of a mustard seed?

... is that enough to move a mountain?

... is that enough to save a life?

Let the hope continue to spring forward, no matter the possible disappointment or pain. Let His glory be done in any and every circumstance, life or death, because His glory will bring forth Truth and life in the ways that matter eternally.

This thanksgiving week has been one of sorrow, worry, pressure, and anxiety for many of the people around us. I for one am no longer interested in piles of food for over-eating, the formalities of banqueting and shallow exchanges, football on the TV, and whatever other mindless traditions have been attached to that day the European Pilgrims and the Native Americans ate together.

I am sick to death of the motions of Thanksgivings celebrated without real concern or thought, But I do value the spirit of this holiday, more than any other year in my life. To all the loved ones gathered throughout the U.S. and elsewhere. The best way to honor life is to celebrate it, and that is what I shall do in the face of the enemy. I am thankful for life. For everything that is poured into it and all that is poured out into others. I will raise my glass to the goodness of the moments, the links between us, the hopes and dreams humanity manages to keep alive. I will give Him praise.