Saturday, May 26, 2007

Late Graduation Wishes to the Class of 2007

so... i know this is a bit late... but better late than never, eh?

this is a short, but hopefully meaningful, entry dedicated to Wheaton College's Class of 2007 to congratulate you and let you know that I was indeed thinking of you that early weekend in May from half way around the world. In fact, the morning you walked across that stage to pick up your... diploma holder, I was with Jerry Redfield (remember him?) in Changsha, China. We both wished you happy graduations while we sat and talked over tea.

There are many people graduating this year that were in some way a very important part of my own Wheaton experience. Maybe we shared a couple of very deep and impacting conversations, changed each other in small but meaningful ways. Maybe we just hung out casually on the floor, in the apartment, said hello to one another on campus. In any case, i decided it would be worth while to say hello again, catch up. maybe hear about what's next for you if ur willing to pass me an email.

two years out, i don't personally miss wheaton at all, that's the honest truth. i do miss the people though, and so i know with each passing year of graduates there is less and less reason for me to go back to that space. I think that's why i find it so important to me just to remember you all.

i'm still in transition, just a few steps ahead...

the first year out was a struggle, tryin to actually live out all those principles I fostered. the first year out felt like i was floating, worst yet floating in a different country. in case you feel like your floating this upcoming year, a word of encouragement... i think it's normal. just keep your feet on the rock and survey the lands, feel out what you still think life is all about.

cause the second year, at least for me, has been blessed. I'm still feeling around and trying to figure out where the details connect, where the passions lead, but the foundations are stronger. Keeping my feet on the rock the first year has given me a solid place to stand. Although the first year felt like floating, the second feels more like stretching. I know where I stand and I just hope that I can still touch the ideals i had in college. A firm holding for my feet makes me feel better equipped to dream.

I still feel like a kid, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

those are a few thoughts, general and ambiguous. A short reflection in hopes that by sharing a little bit of where I am, it will honor your own graduation and journey ahead.

brothers and sisters of the class of 2007, much peace and congratulations.

let me know what ur up to, maybe how i can lift u up. I would love to hear from you.