New Routines... or something more
I begin classes on Monday. It's time to get ready...1. organize old class papers and materials so I know where things actually are
2. buy a new bike (the old one was stolen... sad)
3. overview and adapt old sophomore writing curriculum to teach North Campus. (Praise Him for the opportunity to teach the students I so loved last year as freshmen)
4. meet with Deans of English Department to give gifts and confirm schedules
5. meet with team over tea to set agenda for studies and expectations
6. see foreign relations department about possible language tutors
7. look into buying a new pair of glasses (mines are all scratched up)
8. explore the new Foreign Language Department building and set up new office for English Library. (call student librarians for their schedules)
9. laundry... hand wash the vest Grandma made you instead of throwing it into the machine
10. prioritize Public Speaking units in relationship to Senior students' contexts. Certain things can be left out, others need to be emphasized
11. call the Teacher Development Director to approve current class schedules
I make lists, but I don’t keep a schedule. Lists let me know what is really worth doing and what you can leave out. They can be in no particular order, fitted to your own liking, fluid for your own adjustments. Schedules choke the life out of you, binding you to pre-set requirements one after the other that make you feel guilty if you don’t follow through. I don’t like schedules... but I kind of like routine. Lists help me make create a routine better suited for an ever changing day to day.
But... i'm also starting to see a need beyond the routine
There's something about the very attitude one carries with them throughout a day. Routines can be broken when circumstances prove to be completely out of one's control (which really is all the time). But an attitude transforms reality and can bring about actions that are just right.
I'm looking to foster the right attitude. One that will carry me through the semester on wings of grace under the winds of a spirit of boldness and courage.
don't get so caught up in all the doing... he requires mercy, not sacrifice.

<< Home