Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Hate that "Christmas Spirit"

The Holiday Season is indeed the busiest time of the year...

Here in Wuhu, the Christmas season if off to a quick start in all sorts of ways.

On one side, the continuing growth of the Chinese Economy alongside Western influence has successfully created a consumer oriented Christmas complete with lights, trees, and sales of all sorts (all those shopping centers I talked about in my last email have opened just in time too... How nice.)

I'll be honest. It makes me a bit sick. The decorations and "Christmas spirit" are pretty and all, but I can't help but want to throw up at the idea of this city mobilizing itself to celebrate a holiday that, to most of the population, means nothing more but gifts and vague expressions of love and care. I can buy a gift and tell you "i care about you" on any day of the week. Yes, you may call me a cynic if you wish, but to some... Christmas ought to stay sacred and that means giving it the meaning it deserves or not celebrating it at all.

Luckily... there are indeed other things happening during this Christmas in Wuhu that carry a more eternal value.