Joy and Sorrow
I've two stories to share, one of joy and the other of sorrow.The bond that connects them both is, without a doubt, His grace and love.
JOY: I just got back from a week in Beijing coaching two students in the CCTV (China Central Television) Cup English Speaking Competition, one of the most highly reputable English speaking competitions in the nation. Sections of the contest include prepared speaking, impromptu speaking, question & answer, as well as debate. Over the course of the past two months I've coached and guided one young lady, Ashley, and a young man, Vista through school preliminaries as well as the Anhui Provincial Finals where they earned first and second place awards.
So This past week we went to Beijing representing Anhui. In the national semi-finals there were 91 students from all over China representing all its province's best English Public Speaking students. After three days of Semi-finals, Vista gave a strong showing, landing 50th out of 91. Ashley, however, won 5th place and a slot in the top 23 to go on CCTV International for the National Finals. After three days of competition in the CCTV studios, Ashley ended her journey in winning 10th place over all and a "judge's choice" award for a lasting impression and future potential.
It has been one of my greatest honors to coach and guide these students in their journey. It is part of the joy of being a teacher.
SORROW: During the week in Beijing, one of my special students, one that i've often shared about, text messaged me. He wanted to get together with me just to chat. This is not unusual. We take walks weekly, share our hearts and hopes, serve one another and the communities of hope we desire to strengthen. I told him I was in Beijing and the good news of Ashley's advancement. He was excited as well and said he was looking forward to meeting up when I returned.
The week continues and in the closing ceremonies of the CCTV Awards, just minutes after Ashley recieved her Judge's Choice award, I receive a text from my roommate, Daniel. It left me dazed and breathless for a few minutes. I lost track of where I was. The message was that this brother I love and another brother I've also taught were just rushed to the hospital. They were hit by a car while riding a motorbike back from teaching sunday classes for a local community.
And so the rest of that evening was mixed, celebrating with students I loved while also anxious and worried about others. In the end, I had the trust of His hand on the situation. I lifted up the concerns best I could. News trickled in hour to hour as we prepared to head back to Wuhu. They were both alive, slowly regaining consciousness but in great pain. Later I hear the doctors are concerned about internal bleeding, need for surgery, critical condition. I couldn't even be there. I was a day's journey away. I had to trust Him, that His love for these two young leaders would provide the best, one way or the other. By the time I got back to Wuhu, the word was that both were stable, thank heavens, but that there would be a long road to healing.
If you are reading this, it is an urgent request for your thoughts and pryrs. These two brothers need His hand of healing physically and mentally. Let our thoughts rise up to help move the healer to bring glory out of sorrow, strength out of weakness. I already consider it a minor miracle: those hit by a car on a motorbike seldom survive.
GRACE: Many days have passed since my students' victory in Beijing. Many days have passed since the lives of two of my closest brothers were almost lost. Here I sit, life goes on as normal. But in fact, no moment is ever normal. Every moment is holy and to be savored.
And to think... how many in the world are experiencing such joys and sorrows at any given moment? What have you been experiencing these past weeks? I wish I could hear about some of them, however simple or seemingly routine.
Our lives are grace, are they not? let us live fully...

<< Home