Sunday, September 02, 2007

Back in Wuhu

I'm back in Wuhu, Anhui, China for my third year of teaching. I start classes this week For now I'm trying to write out syllabi and lesson plans. I'm also trying to put my newly renovated apartment back together piece by piece, room by room. As I clean and arrange students and friends drop in and out to say hello, help move, or just sit and catch up. When I talk to some of these brothers and sisters, hearing about their summer activities and plans for the future, i can't help but feel blessed and thankful to be working in China for such a time as this.

It is good to be in the presence of these students, my colleagues, this city.

it oughta be a good year, albeit a pretty hard one too...

The summer was all over the place.

There was the month in Wheaton where I studied hard but most likely played even harder. There was the bustle and charm of Chicago was only made brighter and better by the presence of old friends. At its best, there was celebration of a good friend's wedding and wandering the city streets with my girlfriend (now oh so far away in Baltimore... sad). At its worst, i had my truck broken into and my laptop, digital camera, and ipod stolen (pretty dumb of me to leave it all in there in the first place, right?)

Time at home in the D.C. area was too short. I tried to make every moment count, especially with family. My blessed mother took a week off from work to be closer by and take care of me. My father made a special trip down from Ohio to take me out. My sister found some space in her busy work/study schedule just to hear how I was. Even my best friends and brothers Vince and Jerry managed to come down. I helped my girlfriend, Christine, move and settle into her new home at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. I met up with just a few close friends for meals. I shared my experiences at a few small gatherings. Before I knew it, the summer was over...

Now I'm back in China... and hopefully I bring the thoughts and wishes of each of you with me.

It was a good summer. Thank you for blessing me with your presence in that short but meaningful time.