All Asians Debate Tournament: Part 4 ~Global Citizenship?
The topic for speaking during the 2007 CCTV Speaking Competition was “Global Citizenship Begins at Home.” Interestingly enough, what may have begun as an abstract idea actually finds relevancy here in these days in Dhaka...For most everyday people, it is a rare opportunity to be in spaces saturated by real diversity. For our Chinese students, this may have been their very first experience as a minority surrounded by peoples from all over Asia. Truly, this was an opportunity unlike a typical “trip abroad.” Here were daily opportunities to communicate and interact with someone different. Here was a chance to actually live out all those “global citizen” speeches.

I know for myself, this opportunity could not be missed. While attending to my students when possible, I reaped a great many benefits in stepping outside my typical social circles. First there was rooming with three Indian students. Coming back to the room every night, we discussed the day’s debates, cultural differences and ideas about India, China, and the United States. They gave me an intimate and humble glimpse into the massive and dynamic diversity that India maintains and fosters. In balance with the Indian perspective I also had a great many opportunities to discuss Bangladesh and its cultural identity with a number of Bangladeshi Professors adjudicating with me.

There were opportunities for religious dialogues with devout Muslims, politically idealistic Indians, young people from Taiwan (province), private school students from Bangkok, and so on and so forth. In each space was a chance to learn something new and real about the world. As I engaged others about their lives, it was inevitable they would ask about mine. Along with personal questions would come questions about China, its culture, its current events, and what of her future? In fact, I didn’t always know how to answer.
Although I have many thoughts on China and its new role in the world, I cannot claim to have the insider’s perspective. After all, I am a Chinese American, born and raised in a context as far from China as one can imagine. In fact, only an authentic citizen of the People’s Republic can give authentic answer about today’s China. With this thought in mind, I often wondered what my students were experiencing in their socials...
We all know the Chinese to be a strong and proud people, I myself am a recipient of that tradition in some ways. However, in this modern day, the identity of a people is a tricky thing. To be strong and proud requires something more than a vague understanding of tradition or a collective idealism. China has a rich history of over 5,000 years, but the reality is that the People’s Republic of China carries with it only about 60 years... a small fraction of that very great whole. With China’s recent opening up policies comes an even younger 30-something China and new opportunities for Chinese youth to engage the world. Along with that opportunity comes a new responsibility, that of representing this new China.
Looking back, I think our students experienced a great many things that week when it came to international relationships...
There were times when we chose the comfort of the familiar instead of the challenge of the new. Many times in the midst of a hot and muggy day or during a banquet, it was much easier to hang out with one another than someone new. There certainly isn’t anything wrong with this, as other groups did the same. However, I have noticed that Chinese seem especially collectivist in their interactions. This is another pattern of the culture, and one I hope that our students have become more aware of. True, it is difficult to step out of your comfort zone, by I assure you, only by doing so will you become the fullest person you can be.

There were times when we opened out our hands to receive and learn. There is nothing more attractive than humility and modesty. This is a value that has been a part of Chinese tradition for generations, and in Dhaka some of our students had the chance to come before others and show that humility; to intentionally seek others out, eagerly ask questions and learn from others. Learning to ask questions and listen to others’ opinions and stories is a wonderful trait to foster, especially when meeting people different than you. I was very proud of how many of our students so hospitably interacted and gracefully thanked our hosts for their efforts and work in putting on this international event.
There were times when we felt greatly offended. Being in an international space means having to deal with a high diversity of opinions about issues as sensitive as politics and as personal as your culture. Here, some of our students experienced a genuine sense of discomfort, and didn’t quite know what to do with it. It was a very good experience to have, for I believe as China grows stronger it will only receive more attention, both positive and negative. How China’s new youth reacts to these praises and criticisms is of the utmost importance. After all, America has been a strong nation for decades now and regularly receives criticism for every other action it takes. China will have to deal with the same. I hope that China’s new youth will learn to react in humility, with a heart open to real conversation and listening. Such an attitude will win the respect of others, even if they do not support you.
There were times when we carried an unbecoming sense of superiority. Perhaps this was in reaction to the offenses felt, or perhaps it was a natural by-product of being in a developing nation clearly behind in its social-economic status. Whatever the case, it was here that I was most disappointed in our group. There is a difference between seeing a culture’s weakness and actually going about belittling it. I’ve little else to say about this. I only hope China’s youth will not continue down this unhealthy path of superiority. China’s relations will suffer for it if it does. America certainly has.

There were times when we were humbled by others. Some of our students, when faced with differing opinions and challenges, found themselves introspective and reflective. Hard questions were asked, and hard answers were considered. Being humbled to re-evaluate one’s self is one of the most difficult things a person could ever do, but to go through such self-criticism actually makes us stronger. Honest and humble self-criticism can only produce one of two results. One is that we correct false beliefs, the other is we strengthen our right ones. Those students in our group who underwent this process, I feel, have probably gained the most from this experience. They have become more dynamic people.
At one point or another during this trip, I feel all of us carried such thoughts and feelings. It is a mark of true international exchange, not just from an objective standpoint, but from that of life.
What does it mean to be Chinese in today’s new China and new world? Whether our students realized it or not, they became ambassadors that week in Dhaka. I imagine many of the people there had very little ideal of China in the same way we had few ideas of them. As our students receive more and more chances to go abroad and interact in business, education, or even politics, it will inevitably showcase what the new China is and will be.
Dhaka and the Bangladeshi people have certainly made an impression on us, but here I ask... what kind of impression do you feel we’ve made on them? I believe the answer to that question will reveal a general direction concerning China’s growing international relationships.

China has had many great triumphs, but if we are honest with ourselves, modern China has had its share of tragedies as well. Recognizing and working out the ups and downs of your nation’s history in an international context is all a part of the growing up process and it is clear that China’s international presence is coming of age. Having the chance to accompany this group of young, bright, and zealous, Chinese youth to Dhaka has revealed to me just how important this “growing up” process is. It’s all a part of really taking on this so called “global citizenship.”
This short week in Dhaka I saw many of our students grow up a little bit more. Practically speaking, they found themselves in the middle of Asia and all its peoples and had to reconsider their roles as Chinese in the midst of it.
May this one short experience be an insightful guiding light for the future.

<< Home