Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Goodbye Boss,



Last friday i had my very last meeting with Dean Yu, my boss here at Anhui Normal University. It was not because of my departure in late June, but rather his own. He has retired from his position as Dean of Academics in the School of Foreign Studies. A new dean will be replacing him this week.

I've enjoyed working under Dean Yu. He has faithfully met with me weekly during my two years as team leader and together we've worked out many teaching schedules, discussed varied topics, and enjoyed many a banquet to welcome visiting leaders. In fact, he has left a strong impression on the entire department. His organization and character have proven exactly what the campus needs during a time of intense government evaluation. Not only this, numerous teachers both young and old have found his personal guidance fatherly in both care and strength.

He has finished well.

As such... I feel I am in a similar place. I have two months left in Wuhu as a teacher here at Anhui Normal University. I have two more months to be with my team, students, and staff. What do I want to see these last few weeks? What impression, words, gifts, and thoughts do I want to leave? What will it mean for me to finish well?

Let me think about it...

For now... please remember me, my team, and all my students in your own thought times. There is a lot happening... and as such a lot moving around in my heart and mind. It's only a matter of time before it all spills out.