Red Raincoat Girls
I’ve told the story of the Red Raincoat Girl often enough. It serves as a hallmark experience set within the everyday of real life. No glitz, glamour, or hype. This fact, that it happened in the midst of nothing special but everything real, makes it wholy. I believe the wholiest moments are those where Father touches dirty realities with the His unique presence. A presence that is not dressed in pure white and splendor, but glowing beneath the simplicity of sharing life with us, sweat from everyday work, blood from sacrificial love. This moment often reminds me of why I am here in China clearly. Here it is again, exactly as I wrote it (with a few neccesary edits) the day after, in an email home from Beijing, June 25th, 2004. I'm sure many of you have heard it before.“I was on the bus going back to my cousin, Xiaomu's, apartment when a young lady in a red plastic raincoat jumped onto the bus. The bus was stuffy and damp, filled out so that all you could feel were sweaty arms and shoulders against you. However, this young lady was still smiling. That was very different. Most people in Beijing are pretty smile-less, gloomy even. As the ride continued she struck up a conversation with one of those old men you can always count on seeing on public transportation: large build with a belly, starting to bald, carries a dirty bag, very outspoken if given the chance to speak. I overheard the conversation and did my best to make out what was being said through thick 'eeers' and 'aaars.' Well wouldn't you know it, the gal was cheerfully talking about what it means to love one another (including your enemies) and changing society for the better by doing so. (Does this sound like a familiar teaching to anyone?) The old man debated her furiously, yet respectfully, about how he had tried to do so in his life with no success. As the old man would begin to rant, she'd turn to me or another passenger near by and flash a genuine smile of care as if communicating, "I'm doing my best to listen and be nice." Eventually what I expected happened. The gal spoke up to the man about how only Dad could love. The man eventually asked, point blank, "Ni shi bu shi yi ge ‘...’?" (Are you “like minded”?) She answered with a confident, "Shi de!" (Yes indeed!). I began to notice that the entire bus was quiet except for the girl and the old man. All one could really hear was the shifting of gears and heavy traffic. The two continued to converse until the girl had reached her stop. She turned to the old man, gave him her best wishes and said she'd be lifting him up. With that she was off as cheerfully as she had come on. The bus rolled on and the old man turned to me. He said he knew it was worth his time to have talked to the girl, "She's one with a burning heart, a sharp mind, such people are rare." Although I've only been in Beijing 5 days or so, I would have to agree with him.
Such is an event that, although small and unimportant from a vacational standpoint, is leaving a profound impact on me.”
Indeed, the impact has lasted even until now. In hindsight, the red raincoat girl was probably a college student like the very ones I am teaching. Perhaps she was even taught by a foreign teacher similar to myself? Whatever the case, she exemplified the term, ‘diamond in the rough.’ The reason I bring up this story again for the umpteenth time however, is because a few days ago I have met other students with the same radiant presence right here at Anhui Normal University.
She dropped into the office to visit Cassi, my team leader. I happened to be in the office as well in an attempt to finish up a newsletter I should be sending out to supporters soon. Well, the newsletter was going to wait. I jumped at the chance to engage with a student outside the classroom setting. I haven’t had as many as I would like. We chatted about simple things: classes, the new campus, her summer. Eventually Cassi had to leave for an appointment and I was left to converse with her on my own. The conversation eventually turned from English to Chinese and we talked a bit about her major, books we like to read, home and family. I struggled along in my Chinese and she helped me translate words and phrases. There is much vocabulary I need to learn (many will be happy to know I will be taking a Chinese Independent Study on the side of my schedule). Before long however, the conversation turned to eternal matters. This student is a sister, and a blazingly strong one. She spoke of her difficulties at home with parents, her struggle concerning which groups to join and serve with. She asked me honest questions with a heart of gold about my own experiences. As we spoke, I kid you not, the room felt brighter. It was the first time I gave my own personal story about Dad in Chinese. I will never forget this first conversation of its type with another Chinese student. She is another Red Raincoat Girl with the same bright smile, the same glow, and the same purpose.
So there is a movement, something happening. I feel privileged to be a part of it.
Yet... these are only one part of a campus full of students of all kinds. More on my immediate impressions in my next entry.

<< Home