Sunday, September 18, 2005

A Mid-Autumn Thought

Today is the day of the Mid Autumn Festival here in China. Traditionally it is a day for great family get togethers after a long summer of farming and harvesting. Friends and family will sit together outside on decks or in the gardens to stare at the brightly lit full moon, and share delicious foods and moon cakes. We've received quite a few moon cakes ourselves from students and faculty.

"These modern times, people do not do too much for this festival anymore," a student notes. He had dropped by Dan and I's apartment unexpectedly (as students often do here). We sat around Dan's bed room in his new chairs and snacked on cookies (it is custom to always offer food to guests). "In the past, Chinese would hang many lanterns in the streets with word riddles to guess," he explained, "and children would go out to guess them. They would get a prize if they got them right." He nibbles on the cookie in his hands and continues, "People would sit outside, eat, drink and toast to the moon."

I know I have been complaining a lot recently about my difficulties with teaching, but it really has not been as bad as I have made it seem. As I've predicted, the more I actually teach, the better I feel about it. Better yet, the more students I get to know, the more I feel strengthened with purpose. I've met so many different students: fellow brothers and sisters who shine like stars, students with bright hopes to contribute to China's growth, students whom carry that modern withdrawal that so many Chinese do these days. As time goes by, may these relationships grow deeper, may good news be pronounced, may life be abundant. I toast to to our Father tonight, for good gifts and grace filled opportunities.

The student talking with me about the Mid Autumn Festival is especially bright and thoughtful. "I think that those who desire life to be perfect, they are the ones who suffer much," he commented while we were coming back from dinner, "but those who do not expect life to be perfect, things seem more perfect to them." Although he knows so much about Dad and of the painful patterns of this world, he has not yet made any commitments. He holds a special fascination with the color white, he says they remind him of purity. Oh, how I desire a new purity for him. As each of you spend time on your knees, may the image of this young man help you to focus your thoughts, for him and the many like him here in China, here at Anhui Normal University.

"In these modern days, it seems all Chinese do for holidays is eat a big meal," the student laughs, "and on this particular holiday, we also eat moon cakes." He closes by making a few passing comments about how it is also a popular time for couples to go out jokes how he, having no girlfriend, will be especially lonely this holiday.

There is a famous Chinese poem by Li Bai that coincides with this festival, any Chinese person will recognize it. I learned it once ages ago in Chinese School. My understanding of it is a bare minimum however, as is common for an ABC. It is something the the effect of "raising your head to look at the moon, bowing it down to think upon the friends and family in a home far away.. ."

And so tonight, despite the great changes that modernity has thrust upon China and its customs, this line of poetry still holds true. After this email, I will open up my window, peek my head out into the muggy fall heat, and watch the moon. The same moon that was shining over each of your heads in America several hours before. I will whisper thoughts for many of you in hopes that this great bright rock in the sky would be so kind as to deliver them to you on its next spin around the globe. I will be especially thankful for the gifts of love and support given me, and of course, I will miss you. But I will not be lonely, because Father's presence is strong, and each of us is connected to Him, one Body, one Hope.

Happy Mid Autumn Festival Everyone,