First Impressions and Adjustments
A QUICK REPORTI’ve been going to classes and doing lots of homework. I’ve been acquainting myself with the immediate area surrounding my international student hotel at Capital Normal eating from the street-side vendors, the local restaurants, the western chains, as well as shopping at the near by WuMei and Jian Hypermart for the daily necessities. I’ve had a few opportunities to get away from the area with other teachers to play at the Old Ming Wall, Wangfujing, and Tiannanmen by twilight. There was a little bargaining for electronics at a local mall with some teammates in need of a hairdryer, and a much needed excursion with my cousin Xiao Mu and his new wife.
THE LITTLE THINGS
I had a really bad sore throat since the first night and my head often felt like a congested balloon. It must be the smog. I don’t like the Beijing smog. It makes breathing dangerous. Sometimes it hurts to breathe... can you believe that? These days things are better. I'm finally adjusting...
I’ve adjusted to Chinese food with little problem. Ironically, the diarrhea that hit me was a result of the greasy and expensive Outback Steakhouse on Wangfujing rather than any shish-kabob lamb from the side street.
So all the touristy places like the forbidden city, the summer palace, and the the temple of heaven are but a shell of what they used to be. Mainly because they are all covered in layers of scaffolding and men with tools renovating them for the upcoming olympics. I took lots of pictures... since the scaffolding won't be there forever even if the landmarks are, right?
The two Education classes I have are good, but a bit awkward if only because they are polar opposite personalities teaching the same things. One teacher is hyper, loud, and over-interaction oriented while the other is slower, monotone, and lecture based with the only occasional activity. It’s hard moving from one to the other. Maybe they are doing it on purpose?
The work is really heavy too. This being the first year training is this extensive, they may have gone overboard a little.
CULTURE SHOCK... IT'S A BIT DIFFERENT
I knew I would experience culture shock, but I didn’t and still don’t quite know what unique forms it will take on as a Chinese American. Here are a few...
First, the last time I was in China it was with family. Being such, I was completely immersed in the Chinese experience as Chinese except for conversations with my sister or dad. I am used to things being Chinese in China and rightfully so. Here during training, I find myself with numerous Americans (mostly white people), western style classrooms and subject matter, and daily tourist-esque circumstances. I found myself unprepared to be in this setting. Being with my cousin, Xiao Mu, was a welcome change even if I felt like a huge outsider with all of his office friends. At least it was Chinese.
Second, being the outsider is generally a dominant feeling. In Asian America, I felt at home with other Asian Americans at least. Here I feel neither at home with the Chinese nationals nor do I feel at home with the white majority of teachers. Although I can’t articulate it all, I know that’s the way I feel.
Third, at many points during the week I felt quite ashamed unable to read or write and stumbling over my words at the everyday routine. I felt as if I ought to know what was going on, yet the reality being I shouldn’t expect so much of myself. I am an American after all. Hopefully I’ll pick up more cultural traits and know how with more time.
These are the first steps in an immersion process that will take many twists and turns. Hopefully my cultural identity will come out on the other side refined rather then shattered.
WHAT'S TO COME?
In about a week the classes will end and I will have four days of teaching here in Beijing as the final part of my training. I will actually be teaching real students from Beijing for about four days using an intensive pre-arranged curriculum. It'll be my first official teaching ever. How exciting and yet absolutely nerve wracking.
As I live out the days ahead, please be petitioning for me concerning my teammates in Wuhu whom I've yet to truly interact with. I really need a strong set of relationships to keep me going and only Father can provide it. I am in relationship, therefore I am. Thank Goodness that I've got you guys whom I am writing to to remember.

<< Home